About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

11 May 2011

why detox?

So starting this past monday, my roommates and I have started a raw detox. What does this consist of, you ask? Well simple. Basically it is cutting out all processed foods, caffeine, dairy, and meats. If you have heard of the Daniel diet, it is very similar to that. The hardest thing for me is cutting out coffee. boy do I loveeee coffee! here is a pic of our colorful fridge!
When I have mentioned this detox to people, they typically respond with, "why are you doing a detox diet? You don't need to lose weight". Correct, I don't need to lose weight, so that is not the reason I am doing this. I did this detox back in January and felt great after it, but since then I have obviously consumed so much stuff that isn't the best for my body...including caffeine. I really want to detox my body of all the crap that I have put in it. So what do we eat with the detox? Smoothies, Juices (a juicer is soo cool), vegetabl
es, salads, nuts (like almonds), quinoa, beans, and fruits.

here are a few of the recipes we have discovered:

the first is a Kale Smoothie:
1 banana
1 orange
a little almond milk
handful of kale
strawberries



another version could be this too:
1 banana
1 orange
handful of kale
some cantelope
1 apple
a little water
The perfect juice blend:
3 carrot sticks
1 celery
1 pear
1 apple
-it is DELISH!

and lastly, my favorite quinoa recipe:
cooked quinoa
chopped up red, yellow, orange peppers
chopped cilantro
chopped green onions (about 2 stalks of it)
(optional) mango

you mix all that together with the 'sauce'
2 squirts of honey
a little dab of olive oil
a few squirts of lime juice
sprinkled sea salt

put that all together and you have a yummy meal! put it on top of arugula if you want too.

Anyways, we are on day 3 of our detox and I'm feeling pretty good. i get a headache in the afternoon, but that is mixed with allergies and lack of caffeine. But my body feels great!

and here's a picture of our colorful fridge!

1 comment:

sharon said...

Looking forward to giving you a Vitamix demonstration when you are here - we can have awesome smoothies EVERY DAY! See you tomorrow:)