About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

28 March 2011

expectations

I feel like there is so much going on inside of me...especially since the last time I blogged. I could write about 5 different topics about how the Lord is working and refining me, but today I'll focus on expectations.

I'll begin with a quote:

"Expect no
thing and experience the unexpected yet incredible blessings from God"

My mom constantly has told me, "kelly, you can't expect that" or "kelly, don't place expectations on others". and so often i'm like, ok ok ok. but recently i've come to realize how true that is. because let's face it, people are going to disappoint us...but if you expect nothing out of others, then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

This may seem harsh. But I disappoint people all the time, not meaning to, but that's human nature. And oftentimes the expectations I have are unrealistic. Recently I had the privilege to be an 'adult' (yes, you can laugh that i'm considered an adult in charge of teens) on a mini mission trip to Birmingham, Alabama with 10 highschool teens (I'll probably blog more about the trip tomorrow). I remember the first night as we were looking out over the city of Birmingham, praying, and just sharing with each other, one of the students asked what people expected. Immediately, my head went to think about that...and honestly I didn't know what to expect and didn't really hold any expectations with this trip-sooo great, right?! Especially because I feel that the Lord was able to use me without myself being a hindrance-which is so often the case. And our team was also incredibly blessed throughout...things that I didn't even think would happen! (like sleeping in a bed for the first night...yeah didn't even expect a bed!)

Reflecting upon that trip, I keep thinking how I can incorporate that mentality of no expectations to everyday and my relationships...and why was it so 'easy' for me not to even expect anything on the trip? Is it because I want to control my relationships or my life? Is it because I'm too consumed with what I want or how I want to feel or how I think something should be? It could be all of these...


Anyways, I'm trying to step away from my life and give it completely to God...living life without expectations and pushing what I want aside. Remember, He knows us better than we know ourselves..and he knows exactly what we need.

1 comment:

sharon said...

Hey sweetie, there are several things you CAN expect:)

Expect and know that GOD will NEVER leave you or forsake you. Expect that GOD will accomplish HIS will in your life - whatever that looks like:) Expect GOD to always be GOD - never changing, always there!