About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

31 March 2011

Romans 8:28

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

My daily devotion this morning was focused around this verse out of Romans. This particular verse is familiar to me, and I'm sure to a few of you as well. It's so hard to see that God is working even amidst the struggles and trials-but He is! I think back to 3 years ago, I guess it is, when I was struggling with an eating disorder. Hardest time in my life...but through that I have seen the Lord work in SO many ways.

For one, I'm sharing my struggle, never in a million years would I imagine telling, or even blogging about having an eating disorder. Thankfully the Lord has brought me through this struggle (2 years now!), and it has been incredible seeing how He has worked through it. Through my struggle I have grown to have a passion for teen girls. I started helping out at my church leading a 9th grade small group and helping out with the student ministries. I can't tell you how much I love doing this. I love sharing and hearing the hearts of these teens. I love being open and honest with them. It's like mini camp time...I love investing time into each girl and praying for them and what they may struggle with. While not every girl has gone through an eating disorder like I have, I hope through me sharing and being open with them, they in return will do the same. Vulnerability is not bad as long as it is with people you trust and who will love you just for who you are (a precious child of God).
This is something I learned a few years back while working at a camp. In fact, my boss' wife was probably the biggest help and influence during my struggle (thanks Brooke! that's her and I on the left). I can't tell you the countless times I cried (probably balled) to her just feeling so broken. It was her love and prayers that encouraged me and helped me through that summer.

Identity is a hugeeeee struggle for girls, and my prayer is for them to know that they are treasured and loved by an incredible God who loves them JUST AS THEY ARE. I still have to remind myself of that. When I fully wrap my head around the unconditional and everlasting love that Christ gives me, maaan do I feel so much better. It's comforting to know we have such a loving God.

(btw...This summer, I'll actually be going back to work at a different camp...and this time as a counselor! I'm soooo pumped just to let the Lord work through me. Christ has set me free and I know that this summer will be incredible.)

I'll end this post with a quote "We don’t have to figure out how God will bring good, we just have to stay on the journey with Him and watch Him work."

1 comment:

sharon said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, my dear daughter. So blessed to see God using you in so many ways! I love you:)