About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

02 October 2008

the world we live in

So...a good friend of mine - practically part of my family - Travis made a challenge on his blog (irrelevant) to look and observe the culture around us. the world in which we live.  and notice God in the culture and how He is portrayed.

Well I took Travis up on the challenge, and I've really started to pay more attention to the world around me.

Now, sometimes I feel that I'm in a bubble while on a Christian campus, but the reality is that the world is still all around, and it's important to notice how God is portrayed even here at Greenville.  we still watch TV, movies, listen to music.

So some things I noticed and found:


while watching BRAVO - a commercial for Christian Children's Fund
while watching August Rush - the little girl talks with her dad about God and how He is always watching over us
this got me...one of my roommates showed me the trailer for upcoming SAW V.
I was shocked at what I saw.  The beginning music in the trailer is. get this...Be Thou My Vision (done kind of creepily) and while that song is playing they have words across the screen that say "He is righteous" "His love is Everlasting"
on facebook - this is a huge means of culture now.  and i just noticed how lots of status' are about God giving strength, leaning on Him, praying, even Bible verses
I remember someone talking about their God-given talent
Some of the girls at the tumbling place I work for talked about going to youth group last night
Reading Socrates' in Philosophy class, it discusses the power of God
While just watching the food network channel, they had a gospel kids choir sing Amazing Grace on one of the shows

I'm still taking notice, especially over this weekend when I'll be more outside of this Greenville bubble.  It's interesting to see how God is portrayed whether positive or negative.

No comments: