About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

17 November 2008

habits

Do you find yourself getting into habits easily?

How you eat, how you wake up, what you watch, when you do certain things, the number of times you do things, how you spend your time, what you even say?!

Some things I've noticed in myself:
When someone asks how I am, I always say I'm good.  Even if I'm not.
When I wake up in the morning I turn on my computer.
I check my phone often for messages or calls.
I like to do things in odd numbers (like eat 1 or 3 cookies, not 2...weird I know)
Checking my e-mail (and facebook, but not right now!)
Even how I fall asleep-like the way I lay down!
Watching TV at a certain time



While some habits may be good, I feel like it can really consume us too much.  We become too focused on doing things a certain way.  What happens when it doesn't go that way?  I want to focus my energy on the good habits.  Like waking up in prayer, and doing my devotions.


I think what is more important, however, is how we respond when these habits are broken, or when things don't go the way we're used to during the day.  I am consciously making an effort to do things differently, to kind of mix it up a little.  

I feel like I've given up one of my habits - facebook, but I've replaced it with other habits.  Some good, like doing my devotions - but I still find myself consuming my time on my computer or the TV when I could be doing other things.

I really want to make the most out of every day.
Do I, though?
Instead of just sitting back and letting life go by, i want to be actively involved in life and how Christ is to be glorified.


What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

travis said...

Great thoughts Kelly, thanks as always for your heart, it makes me miss you more! :)

Your post reminds me of Paul: The things I want to do I don't, and the things I don't want to do, I do.

Habits for me are like traps - easy to fall into, challenging to get out of...thanks for the reminders of how I spend my time.