About Me

My photo
living for Him and taking daily steps to surrender my will and my life for the Glory of God

11 September 2008

remember that day...


So today marks the 7 year anniversary of September 11, 2001.  Definitely a day that I will never forget.  I remember exactly what I was doing that day and everything I felt...
I was 12 years old and in 7th grade.
I remember walking through the halls of Lake Braddock and hearing talk about the world trade center towers being hit by a plane (honestly, I didn't even know what the twin towers were because I had never been to NYC).
I was then at lunch around 10ish and I remember someone coming up to me and saying that a plane ran into the Pentagon.  My heart flipped, but my immediate reaction was to think that this person was totally kidding with me.  So I asked around and was convinced that a plane did hit the Pentagon.
I didn't know what to do.  I was in total shock.
For those of you who don't know, my dad worked at the Pentagon.
I started freaking out, but I felt completely helpless.  I couldn't do anything but cry.
I frantically searched for my brother and when I found him I just cried.  I was worried sick.
Thankfully, the school got a call from my dad informing us that he was okay...here's his story:
Before the plane hit the Pentagon, my dad was in CVS buying me pencil led (he might even still have the receipt).  All of the sudden he felt the the Pentagon shake as if a bomb went off and people then told him to get out (they did think a bomb hit).  As soon as he ran outside he smelt the aviation fuel and saw the smoke from the attack.
-I have pictures, but they're from the days before digital cameras.  So I don't have them here...actually they may be on the library computer.  I'll check later!
--Yep..here are some pictures!


Obviously my dad is fine, and I thank God for that daily.  I can't tell you how I even felt that day.  But I do know all the events that took place on 9/11 have to do with my love for America (if you know me, you know I pretty much love America).
I don't know what it is, but something about coming together as a country.  I just feel so blessed today to be living here in the USA.
I love our country, I love our military, I love the freedom.

So do you remember what you were doing?  Do you remember where you were?  Never forget that feeling, the feeling of fear and helplessness, the feeling of coming together, never forget those who gave their lives for our freedom, never forget the lives lost on this day 7 years ago.  My prayers are with the friends and families of victims. 

2 comments:

travis said...

Hey Kel,
Just want you to know I'm proud of you, you make me smile! Write, write, and then write some more.

The Art Of Light Photography said...

hey sister. hope you're having a good week! :)